Age: 53 Years
Wife: Rehnuma Bhati
Some Lesser Known Facts About Riyaz Bhati
- Riyaz Bhati is an Indian builder and a gangster with suspected close ties to fugitive gangster Dawood Ibrahim. Bhati is the Managing Director of Indian Sports Academy Pvt Ltd, Mumbai, since February 2017, and he also heads the School Games Federation of India (SGFI) and Indian Sports Academy (ISA). He is also the owner of a construction company in Mumbai named “S A Bhati and Sons.”
- The gangster is a sports fanatic, and he said in his blog,
My dream to see a sporting India is enlivened every time I see an impeccable performance in gully cricket or a faultless goal in school playground by young and ignorant kids.. There are capable sports stars in every nook and corner of India, waiting for a lead in the world of sports and Indian sports Academy is that lead.”
- Riyaz is listed among the “most wanted underworld names in India.”
- In 2009, Bhati was booked for Malad land grab case in 2006, and in the following year, Riyaz was charged with the stringent MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act), along with Chhota Shakeel and others, for forcing a builder to exit a redevelopment project in Andheri.
- The gangster has also been booked in multiple cases of extortion, land grab, cheating, forgery and firing. Many cases of extortion have also been registered against him at Juhu and Amboli police stations in Mumbai. He is also accused in two cases of firing and threats at Khandala in 2007 and 2008. Since 2007, a look-out notice has been issued against Riyaz for multiple offences.
- Riyaz has been twice accused of forging passports – in October 2015 and in February 2020. On 28 October 2015, he was arrested while trying to escape to South Africa, and he remained in police custody for five days after which he was sent to judicial custody. Riyaz was granted bail on 3 November 2015. In 2020, Bhati was again arrested in violation of court orders on his bail after he was caught at the Mumbai international airport for attempting to flee the country to United Arab Emirates (UAE) using a fake passport. In 2013, too, he was caught with a fake passport. According to police, Riyaz had travelled eight times abroad and 10 times from the Mumbai international airport between 2009 and 2012, using a fake passport, as his original passport expired in 2006 that couldn’t get renewed on account of the criminal cases registered against him.
- In July 2019, Bhati was arrested for fabricating the documents and signatures of Wilson College trustees to get honorary membership of a club of the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA). According to MCA, Riyaz was enjoying the membership of the club since 2013.
- Riyaz Bhati was also accused alongside the former Mumbai police commissioner Param Bir Singh and dismissed Assistant Inspector Sachin Vaze in the extortion case in 2021. Reportedly, Bhati was responsible for collecting money from bars and restaurants. In September 2021, Riyaz’s anticipatory bail application was rejected, and since then, a search warrant has been issued against the gangster.
- In an application dated 24 September 2021, Riyaz was accused of the revelations made by his wife Rehnuma Bhati, who claimed that Riyaz coerced her into having sex with his business associates, and famous sportspersons and politicians, which include Hardik Pandya, Rajeev Shukla, and Munaf Patel. Rehnuma also accused Riyaz of forcing her into prostitution for over 15 years. In the application, his wife also alleged that Riyaz possessed some sensitive photos and videos of her which he used to blackmail her and threatened to kill their two children if Rehnuma refused to fulfil his demands. As per some reports, Rehnuma also alleged marital rape by her husband Riyaz.